by Joseph Anthony C. Hermocilla, Principal Consultant
Here are 13 basic cybersecurity tips that you can follow to protect yourself from being hacked or scammed:
- Update your devices and apps regularly.
- Maintain an inventory of your accounts. Use a password manager for this.
- Check privacy and security settings of your accounts regularly.
- Enable multi-factor authentication in your accounts.
- Don’t forget physical security. Don't leave your devices unattended and their screens unlocked.
- Encrypt your data and communications. Use messaging apps that support end-to-end encryption.
- Don’t trust all browser plugins/add-ons/apps. Clear your browsing history regularly. Use incognito/private mode.
- Don’t use pirated software, key generators, or game cheats. Most of them contain malware.
- Be careful when opening/sharing/forwarding sms, links, photos, videos, files.
- Inform the community if your account or device was compromised/lost/stolen. Report to authorities.
- Do not overshare on social media. Don't believe everything on social media.
- Monitor device use of your children.
- Make sure that a website or app is legitimate and encrypts data before you enter any PII or other sensitive information.
Contact us if you want to know more tips on how you can protect yourself or your organization from cybersecurity attacks and data breaches.